Postpartum depression long ago ceased to be a rare phenomenon. More than half of the mothers know how hard it is to cope with their emotions after the child’s birth. But, despite the high rates, to timely detect symptoms of postpartum depression and to take the necessary measures in most cases is hard enough. And the consequences of such mental disorder can be tragic for the entire family.
It is not uncommon for postpartum depression in women to lead to suicide, or attempting to hurt oneself or her child. But even if the situation does not reach such extremes, the inappropriate behavior of others and the lack of support have a negative impact on the child and the mother. Therefore, parents need to know why postpartum depression occurs, what are the symptoms and what to do if you see signs of it.
The causes of postpartum depression
The root of the problem is the hormonal changes after childbirth. The sharp decrease in the level of female hormones is causing devastation, apathy, mental instability. The first month and a half, almost all women experience depression, anxiety, sadness. The perception of what is happening in this period worsens, and even minor problems can put out of balance.
The psychological unpreparedness of the mother to change the rhythm of life and social status can also lead to depression. At the birth of the first child the woman’s emotional state is influenced by the lack of experience, the fear of causing harm to her baby, do something wrong.
Just after the birth of a child, other problems also aggravate, such as conflicts in the family, financial instability, inner experiences.
Signs and symptoms of postpartum depression
The symptoms of postpartum depression may occur immediately after birth or may be after a few months. In no event the following changes in the behavior and state of the mother can be ignored:
- The appearance for no apparent reason of anxiety
- Her depression lasts for a long time
- There is apathy, indifference to what is happening;
- For a long time, there is a constant feeling of sadness and melancholy;
- There are sleep disorders not associated with the night nursing of the baby. This can be either insomnia or constant drowsiness;
- There is a lack of appetite or constant feeling of hunger;
- After a month and a half after birth there are not observed improvements in the emotional state of the mother, for example, there are sudden changes in mood, not caused by external events;
- The sense of fatigue that persists even after the holidays can be a sign of postpartum depression, or a warning signal that the woman needs to review the daily schedule and organize a complete rest;
- Another symptom of postpartum depression is the focus. If for the mother it becomes hard to focus on certain things and there is absent-mindedness, it cannot be ignored.
How to avoid signs of postpartum depression in women?
When postpartum depression occurs, women change the perception of what is happening. No reasonable arguments, no warm words of comfort and support, and no recriminations and scandals will have the desired effect. Therefore, the prevention of postpartum depression in women is of great importance. The normalization of the hormonal background contributes to natural childbirth and breast-feeding. The adherence to healthy lifestyle, regular outdoor walks, a suitable set of gymnastics, healthy nutritious food contribute to the reconstruction and the stabilization of the emotional state.
It is also useful to find time for the development of meditative practices, or breathing exercises. In addition, you must settle the household matters. It is recommended to the mother to spend time with the baby as much time as possible and for the house chores, especially in the first months it is better to hire an assistant.
If the signs of postpartum depression still appear, do not neglect a good psychologist to help in finding the causes and attack the problem. It is important to understand that the first symptoms of postpartum depression show a problem that must be addressed. The sooner the problem will be solved, the sooner the parents will be able to fully enjoy life.